Soccer Rules and Laws of the Game
The Unwritten Soccer Rules of the Game
Putting the Ball Out of Play
For those of you familiar with them all I don’t need to explain to you what happens on the field but for those who aren’t sure let me refresh you on some of the unwritten soccer rules that exist. You may see from time to time the play stopping, and one team gives the ball on purpose back to the other team. Why do they do this? and how did it get to that? Well in the run of play if a player goes down injured and he/she is clearly injured and the ref has not blown their whistle to stop play the athletic therapist can’t come on the field until play is whistled dead. So in that case if a player from one team is down injured and the other team has possession they may choose to kick the ball out of bounds on purpose allowing the player to get treatment. This is known as FIFA Fair Play or just good sportsmanship on behalf of the team that kicked the ball out. So by rule it is now the other teams ball, so because the team kicked it out on purpose so that the other teams player could get treatment the team then gives the ball to the other team almost thanking them for doing it. Really sounds more complicated then it really is, but now if you see it on TV you will understand what is happening.
Helping a Player Up
With all of the 50/50’s, challenges in the air and two foot challenges, players will find themselves on the ground sometimes with players draped over them. What’s the classy thing to do? Give your hand out to help a player up. You won’t find it in the soccer rules manual but it’s something we all know we should do.
Generally this is done if the ball goes out of bounds and getting up isn’t vital to the outcome of the play. If you’ve found yourself near or on an opponent and the ball has been hit out of play the unwritten rule in football is to help them up. If the play is still going on, don’t think you’ll be so lucky.
Although talking smack is a part of every sport and will never be eliminated their are lines you just don’t cross no matter how heated or intense a game might get.
Known as descent (talking back to a referee or opponent) a ref can control the amount of lip smacking going on in a match but he/she can’t hear or see it all.
So what’s the unwritten rule here? No racist or religious comments allowed. I’d love to say no family or mother slurs but we all know it happens. Soccer rules are in place to prevent this but it’s impossible to stop it all.
Getting your opponent off their game is one thing but comments that cross lines are another, and if your not careful, you’ll catch something much more painful then a yellow card.
LAST DREAM SOCCER CLUB RULES*
- Club will not be adding new members on Sundays after regular season starts. Team will only be allowed to add players on week nights (between 8:00 and 10:oo pm).
- Teams will be given time to provide to the club, signup forms for each individual, a valid certified I.D. and payment for the upcoming season before 1st regular season game.
- Any team that will use unregistered players will forfeit the game. That includes players who did not pay their fee in full, completed signup form or produced valid ID.
- All Captains will be required to produce a written roster before each game and submit it to the referees for approval. Games will be delayed until written roster is produced. Only players on that roster will get the credit for participating in the game.
The no-play rule will be strictly enforced, players will not be allowed to take part in any club game if they DID NOT:
- Did not present a valid I.D. and accepted by the club officers.
- Completed signup form (signup.pdf) which can be downloaded on the Forms page.
- Paid club dues, $150 for the season or $300 for the year. NO REFUNDS
- No player will be permitted to participate in regular season games until all of the requirements have been fulfilled. No partial payments, not after the game, not at half time, not on Wednesday and not the next week. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- All players on a team must be of the league appropriate age on the first day of the regular season with the only exception being goalkeepers. This will be strictly enforced. Also if the goalkeeper is not of the appropriate age for his league he will not be allowed to play any position other than goalkeeper.
- The team shall forfeit any game in which a player under the required age of 40 at the time of the game has played in with the above goalkeeper exception.
- If any team captain has doubts as to any player’s age he must address it to the club executive committee. That player must show in turn a valid I.D. or he will be removed from the club. However, 3 points will be removed from the accuser’s team if the allegation is false.
- Any player that enters the league with false I.D. will be removed from the club with a forfeiture of their fee.
- Player must in the lineup for at least 5 games during the season or he will not be permitted to play in the playoffs.
- Each team shall be comprised of between 16 and 18 valid players.
- Any new player added during the season must comply with all of the club rules and pay club fee before he can be added to the team’s roster.
- A $100 dollar fee will be imposed if a player switches a team or a league more than one time during any one season.
- In order to in week night evening’s scrimmages only members will have to pay a fee of $150.00 per year or $75.00 for each, spring or fall season.
- All team rosters must be presented to the club before the first season game. The player shall be considered a no show if he is not on the roster even if he plays.
- All captains must ensure that rosters are finalized and filled out completely to ensure all players get counted for games played.
- “Any” altercation with club officials or referees will result in expulsion.
- All players must treat referees with respect. Only the captain may protest a decision.
- Any team or player who instigates a fight, or fights before, during or after any game shall immediately be removed from the club without fee reimbursement.
- Any player who continuously displays un-sportsman like conduct will be removed from the club.
- If a player receives a “RED” card during a game and automatic 1 game suspension will be given.
- If a “RED” card is given due to a flagrant or professional foul or upon the recommendation of the disciplinary committee an automatic 2 to 3 game suspension will be given.
- Any player who receives 5 “YELLOW” cards in 3 consecutive games will receive a 1 game suspension.
- Any player who receives 3 red cards during the same season will be suspended for the rest of the season.
- A second yellow card during a 1 game is an automatic 1 game suspension.
- When the playoffs begin all players except those suspended due to a red card will be given a clean slate.
- Any player the plays in any or all of the 3 leagues in The Last Dream Club (over 21, over 40 and over 50) and receives a “RED” card will be suspended for 1 game in all leagues.
- Any player who receives a “YELLOW” card during a game must leave the game for an amount of time to be determined by the referee. This rule has been implemented in the over 21 and over 40 leagues in order to help eliminate players who are not disciplined enough to know when to when to behave themselves.
- At least one player per team that has been qualified in “Artificial Heart Resuscitation” will be on the field for each game.
- “ALL REFEREES FINAL DECISIONS ARE FINAL”
- All players will follow the captain’s directions. Disagreements and/or suggestions should be received by the captain before or after the game. Not during.
- All players shall arrive at least 10 minutes before the scheduled game time otherwise the allotted game time for that player will not apply.
Rule 1: Approval of all team members.
Rule 2: Obtain field permits on behalf of the club.
Rule 3: Purchase equipment and supplies required to complete the season.
Rule 4: Make final decisions on all disputes.
Rule 5: Schedule monthly meetings to review the club’s standings, member’s ideas and proposals and in general administer club business.
*Rule will be changed or updated at any time at the discretion of the executive commission.